Before you acquire this item every effort should be made to figure out where it came from. That includes contacting your Distributors, Manufactures, Transferor's, Employees, Ex-Employees, and anyone else you can think of. Acquiring an Item as "Found in inventory" is awful, and not recommended. This could result in violations or administrative action against your license (warning letters, warning conferences, denied renewals, or revocations).
If you've exhausted all of the available options and you are still unable to determine where the item came from you can Acquire the item as "Found in inventory".
This should be the very last resort.
- In FastBound during the Acquisition create a new Contact or select the existing one
- The Contact name should be "Found In Inventory", You will need to split this up between the First, Middle, and Last Name fields.
- The Contact address would be your FFL address.
- The Acquire Date should be the date you found the item.
- The Acquire Type can be whatever you want, we recommend "Found In Inventory"
- Complete the Acquisition as normal
It is recommended that you put a Note saying you found this Item and the efforts that you put into trying to find it's original source. When the ATF has questions about this Item this Note will help to remind you of your efforts.