Although an exact duplicate of a contact cannot be made, you can create duplicate contacts because the contact changed address or there was a misspelling of their name or address. In any case, you would want to Merge these contacts instead of deleting or archiving them.
Merging Contacts allows you to combine the records of duplicate Contacts so you maintain a single Contact history of what has been Acquired from or Disposed to them.
Merging Contacts does not change the information already committed to your Bound Books. Changes made will only apply to Acquisitions and Dispositions after you've made them.
Once contacts have been merged the results are final they CANNOT be reversed. Please be careful to not make a mistake or accidentally merge the wrong contacts.
To Merge a Contact
First you want to select the Losing Contact
- From the Main Menu click Contacts
- Select the Contact from the Contacts List or Search for the Contact
- In the Contact Information Panel, at the bottom, click the link that says 'Merge Contact'
Next you want to select the Winning Contact (the contact you wish to keep).
- Select the Contact from the Contacts List or use the Advanced Search at the top of the Contacts list to Search for the Contact
- In the Contact Information Panel, at the bottom, click the link that says 'Merge to this Contact'
Finally you to choose what information you want to keep.
- Carefully review the list with the two Contacts details and choose which details you want to keep by selecting the radio button next to the information you want to keep. By default all of the information from the winning contact is selected.
- Check the Agreement
- Click the 'Merge' button